9.7.08

Oh sweet Honeymoon

We've now been at St. John's University for just over a week and a half. After a red eye flight to New York with 7 pieces of luggage and an all day trek across Queens we made it to Institute 48 hours after nuptials. We arrived to find that our married housing was 3 sets of bunk beds spread throughout two bedrooms with a shared bathroom and microwave. Now complete with a 2 liter soda bottle filled with fresh flowers and a compartment freezer full of ice cream, our little dorm suite has become home.
I started teaching this week. Along with 3 other TFA-ers I teach 3rd grade. Our students failed both state tests and will be held back from the 4th grade if they do not pass the re-take exams in 4 weeks. It is our job to get them ready. Sometimes it all feels like a joke. Maybe not a joke. But that it can be procrastinated and putzed-through. But in reality - it is a very serious matter. One of my students - Crystal - has been incredibly quiet. She is typically in a self contained special education classroom but this is her first time outside of that experience. She is very very shy and while she often knows the answer, she will do little more than whisper when probed and probed. Today while doing some one-on-one work I was asking her about her school from last year. "It was nice. I liked my teacher. But she kept me from the fourth. I don't like that. I don't like that at all" was how she described it. When I told her it was my job to help her get ready for the fourth grade she beamed. I know that sounds corny but she really did. Her typically somber face was totally lit up. All i could think though was "are you crazy!?!? What did you just tell her that for? There's no way she can pass the test!" Im terrified as I sit here thinking about it. While I am so excited to be doing something that is outside of myself....I am terrified of the far-reaching implications that my personal actions can now have.
Anyway, it's not much of an update but Ithat's about all I have time for. The cafeteria closes soon. I have to go sneak some food out for eric's dinner when he gets home from work. How's that for homemaking skills??

1 comments:

naomi said...

yargh! Go Crystal!
Also, at least you arent preparing culinary delights of dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets for your husband (they were on sale. we all know novelty shaped anything equates to spending more money UNLESS they are on sale). I thought they were funny and I like chicken nuggets, but I can assure you they aren't as wholesome as whatever you find in the cafeteria)