30.1.12

Best Weekend Ever. Period.

Reason #35 I love Austin: Austin has very cool people come to visit but the pace is slow enough that I have the energy to actually go! 

This weekend was the visit to Bookpeople from Maira Kalman and Lemony Snicket. They collaborated on a lovely little book called Why We Broke Up about the objects that a girl returns to her ex-boyfriend post-dump. I don't know how much more universal a thought you can get. 

They were both hilarious. So cute and thoughtful and hilarious. 

Afterward I got a book or two signed. Typically I run away from famous people - especially people I actually like. (like the time I walked up to Amy Sedaris and then got so nervous I began to instantaneously sweat buckets into my sweatshirt and I turned and walked away with Eric yelling "Wait, but I thought you really liked her!?" behind me)

It was fabulous and made me want to be a writer. Or illustrator. Or at least just mildly funny and lovely to be around.  A girl can dream....






1 comments:

Sunny said...

Maira Kalman makes me want to be an illustrator and a writer as well. She makes it look so easy. I'm so glad you stayed in the line and met her and got your book signed. I am jealous.