16.1.12

Why We Can't Wait


I think I may be one of the last people on earth to read "Letter from Birmingham Jail" but I finally did. I spent much of the weekend reading Why We Can't Wait by Martin Luther King. I expected to be inspired and love it and feel all warm and fuzzy. I was inspired but for reasons I didn't expect and as for the warm and fuzzies... I didn't feel them at all. 

Instead I felt amazed by the realities of the civil rights movement. There was disagreements and differences of opinion. There was logistical issues - money, scheduling, permits. I get very bogged down by logistics - as if they detract from the "dream." I'm glad there are people that can see the dream while within the logistics. My life would be a different place without them.

Nothing was inevitable. Sometimes it feels that way.

I don't have much to say because, I think, I am still in awe that it happened at all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Nothing was inevitable." I like your post because so many things are this way, more than we ever consider. It is so much easier to look back, on good And bad things, and see them as wholes, when in actuality they were messy and complicated and had so many more things going on. I haven't read it, but I am glad that everything came together, and that the "dream" prevailed.

Elisse Newey said...

It makes me wonder about the movements I give up on because they are just too "messy"....